You guys, you guys, you guys. These strawberries and cream bars are so good. Creamy and cold and sweet, they’re vegan layer bars that are perfect to have on hand during warm weather. If you haven’t experimented with raw desserts, these are a great place to start. They’re such a crowd pleaser – even the non-vegans in my life have been asking me to make these. A little patience is required, since these get firmed up in the freezer, but trust me, they’re worth it. What are you waiting for? Let’s (not) cook!
Raw Strawberries and Cream Bars
For the crust
- 3/4 cup dates, pitted and soaked in warm water
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup pecans
For the filling
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, then drained
- 3/4 cup strawberries (I used defrosted ones from the freezer)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 T melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
For the chocolate swirl (optional)
- 1 T melted coconut oil
- 1 T cocoa powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Make the crust: drain the dates and then blend all crust ingredients in a high-powered blender. Add to the loaf pan and press into an even layer with your fingers. Set the loaf pan in the freezer.
- Make the filling: blend all filling ingredients together until smooth. Scrape down the sides of your blender as necessary. You’ll get a slightly thick, pourable liquid. Add the filling layer on top of the crust layer.
- Make the chocolate swirl: mix all ingredients together, then pour over strawberries and cream filling. Use a toothpick to swirl the chocolate, if desired. Note that you may not use the entire mix. When I made this recipe, I used about half of the chocolate mix. You can set the rest aside to pour on nice cream, etc.
- Top with nuts or seeds, as desired. I used pepitas here.
- Set in the freezer to firm up for a few hours, or overnight.
- Remove the bars by lifting the parchment paper, then cut the dessert to the size of your choice.