Though I’m usually pretty good at eating vegetables, it’s easy for me to go about my day without touching them until I suddenly realize it’s dinnertime. By that point, a measly serving of veggies isn’t looking substantial compared to the rest of my diet, and I’ve probably eaten more of the not-as-good-for-you things. In an effort to include more vegetables, I’m aiming to eat them at two meals a day. I’ve found that this little goal has been helpful for keeping my diet healthy, and when I sneak veggies into breakfast I’m already halfway there!
This breakfast of blistered green beans with eggs is one of my go-to’s. It’s humble, comforting, and has only three ingredients (okay, 4 if you count cooking spray, which I don’t). More importantly, I’m getting healthy protein with the eggs and getting in a dose of green veggies.
2 handfuls frozen green beans (fresh would be great, too)
garlic salt, to taste
- Set small skillet at medium heat.
- Spray skillet with cooking spray and crack the egg into it.
- Cook egg for a few minutes until whites are mostly set. Flip egg and cook for another 30 seconds to set whites. I like my yolks runny, but you could cook longer if you prefer the yolks set.
- Meanwhile, boil water in small pot, then add green beans.
- Cook for 2 minutes until beans are tender-crisp.
- Drain green beans and return to pot. Keep temperature on high. Sprinkle beans with garlic salt and toss beans to coat.
- Cook for one to two minutes until green beans are slightly blistered.
- Turn everything onto a plate, sprinkle on some more garlic salt, and enjoy the egg yolk as a sauce for the beans.
When asparagus is in season, it would be a delicious swap for the green beans. Shave a little Parmesan over top and call it a day.